Good…… because as long as you do this will be the easiest recipe you'll ever find here at Oui, Chef. Without a blender you'll be in a bit of a pickle, but with one you can have this delicious soup sitting in a bowl in front of you no more than 10 minutes after reading this post. As this is a chilled (or room temperature soup) there is no cooking involved, you simply toss the whole ingredient list into a blender and blitz all the goodies into silky submission. Taste to check for seasoning, make a few balancing adjustments, and you are home free.
I pulled this together in a hurry the other day for lunch after finding a pile of avocados in the fridge that were mere seconds away from being deemed too far past their peak for rescue. My wife bought them for a great sale price at the market, and somewhat underestimated how long it would take us to work through the stash. That's one of the tricks of avocados….they are so rich, that a little bit of one goes a long way. Just a few slices on a sandwich, or added to a salad adds a lovely flavor and mouth feel, but unless you're making guacamole for a huge gang it's a real challenge to eat your way through a pile of them before they rot on you.
We generally keep ours on the counter top to ripen, but had recently moved them to the fridge when our concern changed from ripening to preservation. When I found them there the other day, it was clear that the time had come to use them or lose them. As we were just approaching lunchtime, I decided to whip up a quick soup that would not only use up our family of avocados, but also some cilantro and scallions that were hanging about. We ate the soup with some tortillas chips on the side to add a crunchy counterpoint to the impossibly smooth soup, and it was delicious!
Cheers – Steve
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, washed, dried and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pimenton (smoked paprika)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Ok....are you ready for this? Take all the ingredients, toss them in your blender and blitz until smooth. Check for seasoning and make any adjustments to suit your taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature, with some snipped chives and a drizzle of good quality EVOO over the top.