I'm not sure where my friends at Cooking Light found their budding culinary superstar, Matisse Reid (age 12), but we are big fans of hers here at Oui, Chef. Matisse is featured every few months in Cooking Light where she offers up "Kid in the Kitchen – Family Friendly" fare, and once again she's knocked it out of the park with this chicken dish.
Well, there are two really. The first is a buttermilk marinade infused with grated onion and garlic that in just 1 hour loads these drumsticks with great flavor. Second is her super easy dipping sauce made with mayo, yogurt, mustard and honey. This stuff is so good you'll be drizzling it on anything in your kitchen that isn't moving…..seriously.
Hands-on time with this dish is pretty minimal, and with just an hour required for the marinating of the chicken, and about a 1/2 hour cooking time, this is an easy go-to meal for a weeknight. Everyone around our table gave this dish two big thumbs-up, give this one a go soon and you too will be fans of this budding culinary talent.
Cheers – Steve
Panko Crusted Chicken Drumsticks with Honey Mustard Sauce
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (we used fresh rosemary, it was awesome)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain, non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Using a paring knife, cut 3 slits in the meatiest portion of each drumstick. Place buttermilk, onion, garlic, and drumsticks in a large zip-top bag; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 425℉.
- Place a rack on a jelly roll pan; coat the rack with cooking spray. Remove the drumsticks from the bag, discard the marinade. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper. Combine the panko, cheese and chives in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge each drumstick in panko mixture. Arrange the drumsticks in a single layer on the rack; coat the chicken lightly with cooking spray. Bake drumsticks for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, honey and mustards in a small bowl. Serve sauce with the chicken.