My friends at Cooking Light have done it again by taking what can be a rather ho-hum dish of chicken and mashed potatoes and ramping up the flavor in a big way while still keeping the dish waist-line friendly.
How do they do this, exactly? Read-on and find out…..
Let's start with their use of sliced green onions, whole grain mustard and chicken stock in the smashed spuds, a far more flavorful and healthier take than the standard heavy cream and butter route. For the chicken, the addition of a fresh herb and some garlic powder to the crumb coating bring lots of flavor sans guilt….a total win-win. The recipe calls for fresh parsley, but I had some tarragon on-hand and used that instead, it was delicious.
Try this family friendly meal soon, it's guaranteed to be a guilt-free hit with the whole gang!
Cheers – Steve
- 1 pound small potatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4" thickness
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used fresh tarragon that I had on-hand - YUM!)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pan; mash to desired consistency. Stir in the stock, green onions, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Keep warm.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining pepper and salt. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish. Combine panko, parsley and garlic powder in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour. Dip in milk-egg mixture; dredge in panko mixture. Lightly coat breaded chicken with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add 2 chicken breasts; cook 3 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Serve chicken with the mashed potatoes and a fresh green salad.