There are as many variations on this queso dip as there are sports bars here in the States, and though I am late posting recipes to enjoy during this year's football season due to my inability to watch the Patriots SUCK in early season play; now that they have gotten their act together and are REALLY playing football I thought it high time to share this awesome game day treat.
Use this recipe just as written, or use it as a launching point – modifying to your heart's content as you wish. Like a little extra heat, add an additional finely minced jalapeno. Want instant nachos? Dump a bag of chips on a serving platter and pour the whole pot of melted goodness over the top then step back so you don't get crushed by the onslaught of drunken game-day revelers. Feel guilty eating just a molten pot of pork and cheese? Toss a jar of your favorite salsa into the mix and breathe easier knowing that there are good, wholesome veggies joining in the fun.
My recipe calls for Spanish chorizo (cured sausage links) because that's what I usually find in the market, but you could certainly use fresh Mexican chorizo pulled from its casing and crumbled into a skillet if you prefer. Also, any kind of cheese will do the trick just so long as it melts well. Add a few spoonfuls of hot sauce or use a pepper jack cheese for some extra kick, and don't forget the fresh cilantro, it adds a lovely fresh element to the dip and more conscience soothing veggie goodness!
Cheers – Steve
- 1/2 pound Spanish chorizo sausages, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1/4 cup freshly minced cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips for dipping
- Coat a skillet with a slick of oil and set it over medium heat. Add the diced sausage and cook until lightly browned. Remove the sausage to a bowl and drain off any excess fat. Return the skillet to the heat then add the cream and the shredded cheeses. Stir constantly until the cheese completely melts, taste for seasoning adding salt and pepper as desired. Add the minced jalapeno and the reserved sausage.
- Pour the dip into a wide-mouthed bowl and top with chopped cilantro. Serve with fresh tortilla chips for dipping.