Do you remember the post a few weeks ago about the favorite holiday cookie we baked this year, the incomparable Chewy Ginger Cookies ? Well these little lovelies ran a close second in the race for Christmas cookie dominance, so I thought I'd share them with you today. The good news is that they're not like a bûche de noel, or a gingerbread treat that seem totally out of place once the holidays have passed. These sugar bombs are a welcome treat regardless of season.
For those of you who can never decide what kind of chocolate to use when baking, then this is the cookie for you. With both bittersweet and milk chocolate chips inside and a drizzle of white chocolate over the top, these babies offer a little something for every chocolate lover regardless of your stripes. For anyone who hesitates to eat a cookie unless it has some sort of nutritionally redeeming ingredient (as if 3 types of chocolate isn't enough for you silly people), then there are rolled oats and fresh cranberries to soothe your guilty souls.
As a cranberry lover I thought these were awesome, and loved how the tartness of the fruit shone through the sweetness of their triple chocolate threat. The oats do add a lovely texture, though I think the next time I make these I may add some chopped nuts to add a little crunch to the party.
Make these, you won't be disappointed.
Cheers – Steve
Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 ounces milk chocolate or white chocolate, chopped (for drizzling)
- Position rack in center of oven and heat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
- Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until milk chocolate sets, about 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)