Looking for a relatively quick, simple and totally addictive cocktail hour nibble?
Well look no further, 'cause these roasted chickpeas (garbanzos) fit the bill perfectly. Low in fat, high in protein and packed with flavor, these smart treats are so good for you they take up ZERO of your vice quotient, leaving that much more of it free for the drinks you'll be sloshing down while eating these buggers.
Cheers – Steve
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 - 15 ounce cans garbanzos, drained, rinsed, and well dried on paper towels
- Heat the oven to 425℉ and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Place the well dried chickpeas on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Pull the pan from the oven and roll the chickpeas around a bit with a spatula to encourage even cooking. Roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, mix all of the spices, salt and oil in a large mixing bowl. Pull the pan from the oven again and dump the chickpeas into the spice bowl. Toss to coat, then pour the garbanzos back onto the baking sheet and back into the oven to roast for an additional 5-10 minutes, watching to make sure they don't burn.
- Pull them from the oven and give them an additional light sprinkling of salt. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.